The Drop-In Centre is a safe, welcoming and non-judgemental space for women and gender diverse folks, who are current or former sex workers. We’re open from 6pm – 12 noon, 18 hours per day, 365 days a year.
We welcome approximately 330-350 participants to the Drop-In Centre on average every night and day. Demand increases every year. The Drop-In Centre supports the physical, emotional and mental well-being of its participants.
The centre is a place for street-based sex workers to get a hot meal, use showers, and collect clothing as well as personal care items such as toiletries, beauty products, first aid or feminine hygiene products they would otherwise not have access to. We serve approximately 9000 meals every month. Donation rooms are accessed an average of 1,800 times each month.
We offer much more than the provision of essential services. WISH is a space for participants to relax and connect with their community of street-based sex workers alongside caring staff and volunteers. Friendship and conversation illuminate the space each evening.
“Call it home, call it family, call it whatever you want, but we all come here to take care of ourselves.” – WISH participant
Through specific programs, special events, and celebrations, we help participants live as positively and safely as possible.
WISH Drop-In Centre is a confidential space where a participant’s privacy and security are a priority. The Drop-In is only open to participants, staff, and invited guests.
Generously funded by:
City of Vancouver
Central City Foundation
Address: 330 Alexander Street
Phone: (604) 681-9244
Hours: 6pm-12pm (the next day), 365 days of the year
- Dinner: 6pm-8pm
- Evening Snack: 10pm
- Overnight Snack: 1am-4am
- Breakfast: 7am-9am
- Morning Snack: 10:30am
Hours of Note:
- Donations Room: 6:30pm-9pm; 11:30pm-3am; 8:30am-12pm
- Make-Up Room: 6:30pm-9pm; 11:30pm-3am; 8:30am-12pm
WISH is a space that is:
- Open to all self-identified women and gender-diverse folks who are past or present sex workers
- Welcoming to trans women
- Safe for all religions, races, ethnicities, and sexualities
- Non-judgmental, accepting, and supportive
- Shared by all participants equally
- Free of violence, racism, transphobia, bullying, and harassment
- Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction
- Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre Housing Outreach
- Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre HIV+ Advocacy
- BC Women’s Hospital
- Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre
- Capilano University
- Karma Yoga