Your safety and that of participants and staff is our top priority. WISH is currently receiving physical donations on Mondays and Fridays between 10am and 5pm. If you can not come during these times, please email us at info [at] wishdropincentre.org and we can figure out a time that works for you.
This page will be continually updated as COVID restrictions in BC change. Please take this information as current.
We apologize for this inconvenience and thank each and every one of you for your patience during this time. Thank you for remaining loyal donors to WISH; we are so grateful to you for collecting donations and contributing essential life-improving items to WISH participants.
We have made several safety changes to our donations procedure.
Even if you are a long-time donor, please read the information below thoroughly.
Physical donations that are clean and in good condition help our budget to go further and ensures the women who access WISH receive the essentials that many of us take for granted to live a healthy, comfortable life. Thanks to your donations, a wide range of clothing and hygiene items are available to women who would otherwise go without. If you don’t have any of the items below, but would still like to support WISH, financial donations are always appreciated. You can donate here!
WISH Administration Office, 334 Alexander street, V6A 1C3
(Looking at the grey WISH building from the street, there are two entrances, one on the right and one on the left end. Please go to the entrance, marked “WISH Admin Office”, on the left and ring the silver buzzer)
Parking is available in the loading zone directly in front of the building.
10am-5pm, Monday and Fridays
If you are unable to come during these times, please email us to discuss options. Please do not leave donations outside the building without being received by WISH staff.
Due to enhanced COVID-19 precautions and the precarious health of most of the women who come to WISH, it has been necessary that WISH change our donations protocols as well. We can only accept the below items, despite having previously been able to accept a larger array pre-COVID. At this time, we are only able to accept the items below.
Items WISH Needs at this time:
- Women’s casual clothing (seasonally appropriate only)
- Women’s Club Clothes (sexy clothes for the nightclub!)
- Coats and hoodies
- Towels and face cloths
- Bags, purses and shoes
- Bras, socks and underwear
- New, unused hotel or commercial sized toiletries in their original packaging: lotion, shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash, razors, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, pads, tampons, and incontinence underwear.
- Make-up, hair products/appliances, and assorted beauty supplies
- Pregnancy test kits – in unopened and original packaging
- Single use mascara wands, Q-tips, cotton balls
- Wigs * (Please email wishtransitions @ wishdropincentre.org if you have wigs to donate.)
Due to COVID-19 safety measures, we also must ask that all donations be sanitized/laundered through the following process:
- Collect above items and sort out any items not listed. Put aside for safe keeping until later.
- Put all clothing, coats, shoes, bras, socks, and underwear into the laundry. If the shoes or bags cannot be laundered or sanitized with disinfectant, please keep them aside for a later donation time.
- Once the load is complete, wash your hands or put on fresh gloves and open a brand-new, large garbage bag. Put clothing directly into the garbage bag from the dryer and tie the bag closed tightly. Please do not overfill the bag to ensure you can tie it shut.
- For toiletry donations, please wash all bottles in hot soapy water, disinfect, let air dry. Wash your hands. Put all items into a brand-new garbage bag and tie the bag tightly.
- Put all bags aside for pick-up if that has been arranged or directly into your car.
- When dropping off your donations at WISH, please wash your hands before leaving home, come to the office (334 Alexander) between 10am – 5pm on Friday, and buzz.
Items WISH Can Not Accept at this time:
- Menstrual Products
- Hair Dye
- Food storage/recyclable containers
- Housewares or furniture
- Plates, dishes, mugs, pots, pans, utensils, or any other kitchen gadgets and supplies
- Computers, televisions, or any other types of electronics
- Decorations or home knickknack items
- Office supplies
- Craft Supplies
- Musical Instruments
If you have items that you would like to donate that are on neither of the above lists, please email or call us to discuss further. Additionally, if you have a large amount of items or want to host a donations drive, please email or call us at info[at]wishdropincentre.org or 604-669-9474.
I have always dropped off donations in the alley or to the drop-in. Why the change to the office?
With additional COVID programming, the drop-in space and parking lot are now open 24/7 to participants. To ensure the confidentiality and safety of WISH participants, we ask that community members stay clear of these areas.
I used to donate at hours outside of the 9-5:30pm. Why the change?
The office is closed outside of these hours, and to ensure the confidentiality and safety of WISH participants, we ask that community members not approach the drop-in entrances. Additionally, due to COVID, drop-in staff are even more busy than usual responding to increased needs of our participants.
Why do I need to launder my donations?
We are still unsure of how the COVID-19 lives and lasts on textiles and objects. Therefore, we are asking to be better safe than sorry in regard to cleaning, especially given the vulnerable health of the population of women who come to WISH for clothing and other items.
I have items that WISH is not currently accepting. Can I drop them off anyways?
We thank you for collecting these items, but we cannot store items that we are unable to use at this time given COVID-19 procedures. We have very limited storage space, nor do we have staff for handling donations that can’t be used or stored. If you are able to hang onto these items, we thank you for that. If you are unable to store them and need to take them elsewhere, we understand 😊
Is there parking?
Yes, there is a loading zone outside of the WISH office that can be used for donations drop-off.
I have a large vehicle full of donations, how can I drop them off?
Please email us to arrange a time to come by the office to drop-off
I would like to organize a clothing drive. What is most needed?
WISH’s greatest needs can change at any time – especially during this new COVID reality. Do please get in touch and we can talk about the organization’s greatest needs at this given time.
Can men drop-off donations?
Yes! As the drop-off location is the administration office, men are welcome to drop off donations.
Where do my donations go?
Your donations go directly to the women who access the WISH Drop-In and MAP van services. By supporting WISH, you are supporting some of our most vulnerable neighbours.
How do the donations get dispersed?
At WISH, we have a donations room that the participants have time to browse, picking out what items of clothing they need. Many women come to WISH to access the showers and bathrooms, which is when they will receive clean towels, hygiene supplies, and self-care needs.
I don’t have any of these items, how else can I help?
WISH is happy to work with donors who are able to support WISH in whatever way they are able. Please email us for more information.